[lxc-users] Help with Ubuntu Networking

CDR venefax at gmail.com
Sat May 10 04:15:50 UTC 2014

This is not related directly to LXC, but I know that some people here
work for Canonical, and before I get back to Fedora, I need to ask a
question.
I already Googled it and believe me, nobody has an answer, all are
more questions than responses.

I need to bring up 12 empty bridges, that is, bridges that have no
interface and no IP. You may ask why, and I will respond "for business
reasons, some virtual machines need to talk to each other back to
back". In any case, in Fedora and similar this is a piece of cake.
In Ubuntu, it seems impossible. The network configuration files seem
to enter a chaos from which there no way to emerge without a reboot,
but I cannot reboot a server every time it happens, rather change the
distribution.

In "interfaces", I have something like this
auto br0
iface br0 inet manual
pre-up echo "Starting $IFACE"
pre-up ip addr flush dev $IFACE
pre-up ip link set $IFACE down
post-down ip link set $IFACE down

How do I create the bridge?
in /etc/rc.local I execute brctl addbr br0

There is nothing wrong with this , right?

But when I try to do
ifup br0
I get
"Ignoring unknown interface br0=br0"

if I do
ifdown br0
I get
ifdown: interface br0 not configured

I checked and there is no line br0=br0 in /etc/network/run/ifstate

The question is, how do I bounce from this?

So far I have no idea, and nobody in the Internet seems to have a clear answer.
I cannot believe that the Debian-like distributions have these kind of
issues that simply are non-existent in any other Linux flavor. I must
be overlooking something.

Yours

Philip
note: I will allow access to the box anybody whose email says @canonical.
The box is in development at this point.