[lxc-users] Unprivileged containers do not auto-start

Robert Pendell shinji at elite-systems.org
Tue May 6 21:55:47 UTC 2014

On Tue, May 6, 2014 at 5:01 PM, Serge Hallyn <serge.hallyn at ubuntu.com> wrote:
> Quoting Robert Pendell (shinji at elite-systems.org):
>> OS: Ubuntu 14.04 LTS x86_64
>> Kernel: Host-Supplied 3.14.1
>> Provider: Linode
>> Host Virtualization: Xen Paravirtualized
>> LXC Version: 1.0.3-0ubuntu3
>>
>> On a fresh boot unprivileged containers are not starting automatically
>> even though they have lxc.start.auto enabled.  lxc-ls as the user
>> confirms autostart is enabled as well.
>>
>> Is this a bug or intended or am I just missing something really
>> obvious in my configuration?
>
> By default only containers in /var/lib/lxc are autostarted.  You
> could edit /etc/lxc/lxc.conf to change that.  If you're ok with
> them only starting on login you might also be able to use a user
> upstart session job, but I suspect tying the containers so closely
> to your login session won't be what you want.

That would be an accurate assumption.  At this point if I need to I
can login and start the container manually.  I checked lxc.conf and
I'm not sure how to set it up the way you suggest.  This system may
end up being home to multiple containers that are mixed between
locations.

P.S. - I noticed that lxc-autostart doesn't list unprivileged containers?