[lxc-users] LXC with X, specifically KDE v. VM

Michael H. Warfield mhw at WittsEnd.com
Tue May 6 14:39:52 UTC 2014

On Tue, 2014-05-06 at 20:54 +0700, Fajar A. Nugraha wrote:
> On Tue, May 6, 2014 at 8:40 PM, Michael H. Warfield <mhw at wittsend.com>
> wrote:
>         One gotcha.  I haven't tried this in the last year or so but,
>         at one
>
>         point, NX was broken on Ubuntu due to dependency failures in
>         some
>         multimedia packages and libraries that I was never able to
>         resolve at
>         the time.
>

> ... which is part of the reason why I suggested x2go earlier. From
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NX_technology , it's probably the only
> well-maintained, open-source nx implementation today.

Except it's not compatible with other implementations.  It's really more
proper to call them "based on NX" than an implementation of NX when
they're not compatible with other implementations of the NX 3.0
specifications, even if they are using the NX 3.0 libraries.  But that's
arguing semantics.

From their FAQ:

"It’s not possible to use NX client to log on to an X2Go server and vice
versa."

So, I imagine that eliminates the superb Remmina multiprotocol client
which does connect properly and communicate with the FreeNX and
No-Machine NX servers.  You can only use their x2go client app to talk
to their server.  That may be fine for the OP but would be a total
non-starter in my environment as I have a mix of VNC, RDesktop, and NX
for a variety of reasons.  I would not want to be running rdesktop, and
vnc, and nxclient when Remmina does them all and does them better.
Maybe when they come out with a Remmina plugin they would be viable for
me.

Like I said, maybe the OP doesn't need the support I enjoy but there is
NX and there is X2GO which claims to be NX but you have to use their
client.  Both are viable and each may be fine for the OP.

> --
> Fajar

Regards,
Mike
--
Michael H. Warfield (AI4NB) | (770) 978-7061 |  mhw at WittsEnd.com