[lxc-users] LXC with X, specifically KDE v. VM

Michael H. Warfield mhw at WittsEnd.com
Tue May 6 13:40:39 UTC 2014

On Mon, 2014-05-05 at 23:40 -0400, TuxRaiderPen wrote:
> I am in a situation where I am looking to possibly use LXC as a way to run ONE
> specific program that needs an X desktop.

> What I am comparing is LXC v. my normal method a VM.

What I would use is NX on the server (container) and Remmina on the
client side using an NX remote connection.  I've done this in several
locations both on host systems and in LXC containers.  It's very
efficient bandwidth wise and I pull remote desktops (XCDE4) over even
slow links and still have it very effectively usuable.

Basically, you need the freenx server and all it's components installed
in the container and Remmina on your local desktop.  It runs over ssh
and utilizes X token level compression for kick ass display compression
and speed.

One gotcha.  I haven't tried this in the last year or so but, at one
point, NX was broken on Ubuntu due to dependency failures in some
multimedia packages and libraries that I was never able to resolve at
the time.  I gave up at that point and all my remote desktops are now on
Fedora.

Regards,
Mike