[lxc-users] Looking for Opensuse template

Michael H. Warfield mhw at WittsEnd.com
Sun May 4 18:09:15 UTC 2014

On Sun, 2014-05-04 at 11:21 -0400, CDR wrote:
> Does anybody have any idea how to install an LXC container for opensuse?

Yes.

On what host?  An OpenSuse host, Ubuntu host, or Fedora/CentOS host.

If you are doing anything other than OpenSuse on OpenSuse, you're going
to have a problem bootstrapping your first container thanks to their
requirement of zypper in the template.  I bootstrapped mine setup for
OpenSuse by booting a machine with OpenSuse and installing LXC on it,
then creating an OpenSuse container which can then be transported over
to the target host (Fedora 20).  That first first container can then be
used to create new container images.

Last time I exchanged E-Mail with the OpenSuse guys about building
OpenSuse containers on non-OpenSuse hosts, their response was on the
order of "why would anybody want to do that" and "I don't think that
will work" and "No I don't think you can build it without using zypper
even if it has rpm and yum".

I was going to experiment with it using one of their run-live images as
a bootstrap core to run the container build from but never got around to
it.

> Philip

Regards,
Mike
--
Michael H. Warfield (AI4NB) | (770) 978-7061 |  mhw at WittsEnd.com