[lxc-users] macvlan network - is lxc.network.macvlan.mode required?

bogdan.purcareata at freescale.com bogdan.purcareata at freescale.com
Wed Mar 26 13:53:48 UTC 2014

Hello,

I'm running LXC 1.0 with a config file inspired from the lxc-macvlan.conf available in the repo. I get this error:

root at sandbox:~# cat lxc-macvlan.conf
# Container with network virtualized using the macvlan device driver
lxc.utsname = alpha
lxc.network.type = macvlan
lxc.network.flags = up
lxc.network.link = eth0
root at sandbox:~# lxc-create -n foo -t busybox -f lxc-macvlan.conf
lxc_container: Failed to parse config: lxc.network.macvlan.mode = (invalid)

lxc_container: Error creating container foo

I'm assuming LXC 1.0 now requires an additional "lxc.network.macvlan.mode = <something>" along with "lxc.network.type = macvlan" in order to work. I added such a line in the config file and I was able to get the container created. LXC 0.9 did not require this additional option.

I haven't looked at the code in depth, hence I don't know what's the best approach:
1. submit a fix that would add a default mode for lxc.network.macvlan if it's not specified in the config file - I'm assuming this was the case prior to LXC 1.0.
2. rely on the user to always specify a mode for the macvlan - in this case, I think the lxc-macvlan.conf example file should be updated. It probably wouldn't hurt to update the lxc.container.conf man page to stress that this parameter is (now) required, either.

Which approach do you think it's best? If it's the former, any futher comments regarding how to do that (code-wise) are greatly appreciated!

Thank you,
Bogdan P.