[lxc-users] Fail to convert LXC container configuration into a domain XML fragment

Serge Hallyn serge.hallyn at ubuntu.com
Thu Mar 6 14:31:16 UTC 2014

Quoting Du Jun (dj199008 at gmail.com):
> Hi, all,
> I used lxc-tools to create a linux container. I am trying to transfrom LXC
> container configuration into a domain XML fragment using the following
> command:
>
> *$ virsh -c lxc:/// domxml-from-native lxc /var/lib/lxc/my_conatiner/config*
>
> However, I get the error message,
> error: this function is not supported by the connection driver:
> virConnectDomainXMLFromNative
>
> It seems that *virConnectDomainXMLFromNative *is not supported in libvrit
> LXC driver. However, I find the command in the official documentation of
> libvirt. Besides, my libvirt's version is 1.2.2(the latest version).
>
> I wonder whether I can convert LXC container configuration into a domain
> XML fragment using *domxml-from-native*? If I can't, how cant I translate
> it?
>
> PS:
> I care about the rules in my LXC container configuration file, such as:
> *lxc.aa_profile = unconfined*
>
> *lxc.cgroup.devices.deny = a*
> *# Allow any mknod (but not using the node)*
> *lxc.cgroup.devices.allow = c *:* m*
> *lxc.cgroup.devices.allow = b *:* m*
> *lxc.cgroup.devices.allow = b 7:* rwm*
>

> I just don't know how to express the rules above using xml format. Please
> help! Thanks!

Since libvirt-lxc does not use lxc as a back-end, the lxc-tools
configuration file is not 'native' format for virsh domxml-from-native.
There is no tool to do this conversion, and maintaining such a tool
would not really be tractable as the two projects are both developing
at a rather fast pace.

-serge