[lxc-users] Difference in using network namespace via ip command and lxc

Ajith Adapa ajith.adapa at gmail.com
Fri Jun 27 13:30:09 UTC 2014

Hi,

I am quite new to network namespaces and just making my hands dirty
using ip command to create network namespaces.

As per the man page for ip command

"       By convention a named network namespace is an object at
       /var/run/netns/NAME that can be opened.  The file descriptor
       resulting from opening /var/run/netns/NAME refers to the specified
       network namespace.  Holding that file descriptor open keeps the
       network namespace alive.  The file descriptor can be used with the
       setns(2) system call to change the network namespace associated with
       a task."

But incase of lxc I am seeing that /var/run/netns is empty.

Is there any difference in the behaviour of network namespace incase
of lxc container ?

Regards,
Ajith