[lxc-users] red hat/centos guest support

Michael H. Warfield mhw at WittsEnd.com
Thu Jun 12 14:45:44 UTC 2014

On Thu, 2014-06-12 at 16:08 +0200, Tamas Papp wrote:
> On 06/12/2014 03:54 PM, Dwight Engen wrote:
> > On Thu, 12 Jun 2014 10:14:38 +0200
> > Tamas Papp <tompos at martos.bme.hu> wrote:
> >
> >> hi,
> >>
> >> How is the red hat guest support?
> >> For example is it easily possible to tell to the centos template
> >> script to use a repository on a cdrom or in an iso file? Or something
> >> like that.
> >>

> >> Also regarding the upgrade/update path.
> >> Is there a safe way to update a centos container? I remember, in the
> >> past there were local changes in the template, that had to be redone
> >> every time after 'yum update', like commenting out '/sbin/start_udev'
> >> from /etc/rc.sysinit.
> >> Are there such a necessary step? Can I ruin my container with regular
> >> updates?
> > Hi Tamas,
> >
> > The Oracle template does both of these for OracleLinux so it should be
> > possible to do for RedHat/CentOS since they are all very similar,
> > though I don't think they currently support it. Installing from a
> > dvd/.iso can be done via --baseurl=file:///mnt. Handling a yum update
> > inside the container is done by calling the template from a yum plugin
> > to re-patch the rootfs.

> Thanks, I'll check it!

> Meanwhile I was wondering, why templates are different. They should use
> a template(:O) at least for the configuration files (config, fstab)
> format....etc, shouldn't they?

Different distros have different needs but we are moving in that
direction.  But the different templates have been developed at different
times.  I think, in the future, the download template is going to be the
preferred template for most distros where we have images,

> Also oracle, redhat, sl and centos templates should be very-very similar
> to each other.

This has been discussed.  They are very similar (and we don't have
templates for RHEL or SL).  The Oracle template could be a very good
basis for a more general rpm/yum distro template but the Fedora template
was the first one to properly handle systemd w/ devtmpfs (coming in RHEL
7, Oracle 7, SL 7, CentOS 7).

The reason for the different templates is simply that we work on the
distros we're most familiar with and nobody is familiar with them all.
I maintain the Fedora and CentOS templates, I'm familiar with the Oracle
and Ubuntu templates, and I've stuck my nose in OpenSUSE long enough to
spot a few bugs.  I wouldn't think about tinkering with any of the
others.

In the future, these distro specific templates may be used on distro
specific hosts to create the images to feed into the download template
cache.

> tamas

Regards,
Mike
--
Michael H. Warfield (AI4NB) | (770) 978-7061 |  mhw at WittsEnd.com