[lxc-users] red hat/centos guest support

Dwight Engen dwight.engen at oracle.com
Thu Jun 12 13:54:39 UTC 2014

On Thu, 12 Jun 2014 10:14:38 +0200
Tamas Papp <tompos at martos.bme.hu> wrote:

> hi,
>
> How is the red hat guest support?
> For example is it easily possible to tell to the centos template
> script to use a repository on a cdrom or in an iso file? Or something
> like that.
>

> Also regarding the upgrade/update path.
> Is there a safe way to update a centos container? I remember, in the
> past there were local changes in the template, that had to be redone
> every time after 'yum update', like commenting out '/sbin/start_udev'
> from /etc/rc.sysinit.
> Are there such a necessary step? Can I ruin my container with regular
> updates?

Hi Tamas,

The Oracle template does both of these for OracleLinux so it should be
possible to do for RedHat/CentOS since they are all very similar,
though I don't think they currently support it. Installing from a
dvd/.iso can be done via --baseurl=file:///mnt. Handling a yum update
inside the container is done by calling the template from a yum plugin
to re-patch the rootfs.