[lxc-users] LXC auto start not working

Michael H. Warfield mhw at WittsEnd.com
Mon Jun 9 16:54:14 UTC 2014

On Mon, 2014-06-09 at 10:55 -0400, Stéphane Graber wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 09, 2014 at 10:36:57AM -0400, Michael H. Warfield wrote:
> > Stéphane,

> > > For this to work, you need something to call "lxc-autostart" at session
> > > open time. For privileged containers we have an init script doing that,
> > > but for unprivileged users, there's no single way of doing it and it's
> > > hard to know exactly what the user would want to see happen (have all
> > > user containers started at boot time and exit at shutdown time or have
> > > that happen at user session open time but then what about ssh sessions,
> > > ...).
> >
> > I think there's also a problem in the way lxc-autostart is handling the
> > -P option(s) that would complicate this for user based containers
> > outside of the global lxcpath.  See my message over in the -devel list.

> Only supporting a single -P wouldn't be a problem if lxc-autostart was
> to be run as the user in question, which it ought to be anyway as you
> don't want user-owned unprivileged containers to be spawned by root
> anyway.

Yes, I agree, but...  It looks like the -P option won't have any impact
on listing out the defined connections which could be problematical for
non-default conditions.

> Though I believe the real answer for auto-start of non-root unprivileged
> containers is to have the user make sure "lxc-autostart" is called
> whenever they want them started and "lxc-autostart -a -A -s" is called
> whenever they should be stopped.
> Both those calls are to be done as the user and so will use the default
> lxc path for that user (either ~/.local/share/lxc or whatever is
> specified in ~/.config/lxc/lxc.conf).

Right.  But then, what use is the -P option if it's basically ignored.

Regards,
Mike
--
Michael H. Warfield (AI4NB) | (770) 978-7061 |  mhw at WittsEnd.com