[lxc-users] LXC Stability Question

Martín Cigorraga martincigorraga at gmail.com
Sun Jul 13 15:37:31 UTC 2014

Good day,

Oracle... when not!
I'm a newbie to LxC too, I've been running it on my home and office for
about a 4 months now and I can only say it rocks.
Of course one important thing - and may be the most important at all [0] -
is that the kernels you run inside the containers SUPPORTS cgroups and the
other technologies required by LxC.
Said that, for the sake of usability I just switched to Doker+LxC a few
days ago and I love it, for me Docker act as the perfect front-end to the
excellent LxC.

Cheers!

[0] Knowledgeable people please step in to clarify this point!

On Sat, Jul 12, 2014 at 2:41 PM, AT <unixlist-lxc at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
> I am VERY new to the LXC tools, though not to similar technologies such as
> Solaris Zones, or FreeBSD jails.
>
> Being new to LXC, I have been reading up on various posts around the web: some
> time back I read an Oracle blog stating that combining different versions
> of Linux distributions, in different containers, can crash the kernel, if
> one of the containers experiences a crash.  Linux-Containers — Part 1:
> Overview (OTN Garage)
> <https://blogs.oracle.com/OTNGarage/entry/linux_containers_part_1_overview>
>
> This posting is from 2013, but can anyone talk about stability of LXC in
> general? I by no means want to start a war etc., but technologies such as
> FreeBSD Jails or Solaris Zones are pretty well-understood, and have been in
> use for many years in real production settings.  Generally, it is agreed
> (at least in theory and I've never heard cases stating otherwise) that any
> Jail or Zone which crashes will not bring down the host-OS.
>
>  Apologies in advance if I just need to be pointed to previous mailing
> list discussions, any info appreciated.  I just joined the list a few days
> ago, and this is my first post.
>

> [image: image]
> <https://blogs.oracle.com/OTNGarage/entry/linux_containers_part_1_overview>
>

> Linux-Containers — Part 1: Overview (OTN Garage)
> <https://blogs.oracle.com/OTNGarage/entry/linux_containers_part_1_overview>
> Blogs.Oracle.Com - OTN Garage
> View on blogs.oracle.com
> <https://blogs.oracle.com/OTNGarage/entry/linux_containers_part_1_overview>