[lxc-users] lxc-start is failing with error " lxc_conf - Invalid argument - pivot_root syscall failed"

Serge Hallyn serge.hallyn at ubuntu.com
Sun Jan 26 00:09:18 UTC 2014

Quoting linux developer (linuxdeveloper7 at gmail.com):
> Hi All,
>
> I am trying to run ubuntu on top of Android kernel using LXC.

Hi,

the EINVAL at pivot_root likely means that the lxc_path is
still on ramfs.  pivot_root() refuses to run in that case.

If you in advance set up a tmpfs and pivot_root yourself
or your system onto that, you should be fine.

Perhaps others who run lxc on android can chime in with their
favorite workarounds.

Well, note there may be a better way.
src/lxc/conf.c:detect_shared_rootfs() could be made to detect whether
the lxcpath is on ramfs, and return if so.  There's absolutely no case
where in that case we would *not* want to do the subsequent
chroot_into_slave().

-serge