[lxc-users] Stopping a container

Michael H. Warfield mhw at WittsEnd.com
Fri Jan 17 16:15:46 UTC 2014

On Thu, 2014-01-16 at 22:31 +0200, David Shwatrz wrote:
> Hello, lxc-users,

> I created a container using the fedora template with the latest git
> LXC tree, on Fedora 20.

> I use the standard configuration, with veth for networking.
> Starting the container is very quick and it is done by:
> lxc-start -n fedoraCT1

> Stopping the container by
> lxc-stop -n fedoraCT1
> takes more than a minute. I ran:

> time lxc-stop -n fedoraCT1

> and got:
> real 1m0.985s
> user 0m0.002s
> sys 0m0.004s

I've seen this problem and I haven't really had time to run it to
ground.  Mostly, I've seen it when containers did not shut down properly
from within (something I recently fixed for non-systemd Fedora and
CentOS containers by intercepting the shutdown process and preventing
them from reexecing init).

I strongly suspect that this is from lxc-stop attempting to shut down a
container in an orderly manner by sending the container init process a
signal (SIGPWR?  SIGINT?) but the init process does not respond to it
appropriately.  That eventually results in a timeout in lxc-stop and
lxc-stop does a hard shutdown then.

> Is this normal/expected behavior with other containers, based on
> different templates (like ubuntu/debian)?

> regards,
> DavidS

Regards,
Mike
--
Michael H. Warfield (AI4NB) | (770) 978-7061 |  mhw at WittsEnd.com