[lxc-users] Killing the parent process of a container

Andy Johnson johnsonzjo at gmail.com
Sat Jan 11 07:17:14 UTC 2014

Hello,

I start a busybox container by:
lxc-start -n busyboxCTNew

from another terminal I get the pid of the parent process of the container by :
psaux | grep lxc-start

root      1994  0.0  0.0  26092  1304 pts/1    S+   09:04   0:00
lxc-start -n busyboxCTNew

I run:
kill -9 1994

(I know that containers should be stopped with lxc-stop for graceful shutdown).

>From the container, I see:
can't open /dev/tty1: Input/output error
Killed

And the containers shell does not show anymore (we return to the host shell)

However, if I run
lxc-ls --active
I get:
busyboxCTNew

Why does lxc-ls --active still shows the busyboxCTNew container as
active ?  (I get the same result also when trying  10 minutes after
running the "kill -9" command).

Regards,
Andy