[lxc-users] unable to create more than 1 device with dmsetup

Abhijit Taware abhijit.taware at coriolis.co.in
Mon Feb 10 12:31:37 UTC 2014

I am using lxc for running encryption app.
The app run "dmsetup" on devices added in the container/VM.
On running the "dmsetup create clear_sdb1" the device gets created as
/dev/mapper/clear_sdb1
However similar thing does not happen when I add 2nd device sdb2.
Strangely both  /dev/mapper/clear_sdb1   and /dev/mapper/clear_sdb2 starts
showing up in host's device hierarchy. Should it never get created in host
machine.
The /dev/mapper/control is already present in container.
I have disabled the apparmor in config file.
All the devices are given "rwm" permissions.
Will be using this setup for simulating many Virtual Machines.
/dev/mapper is the only blocker currently, since my app is working fine
with one device.

Host =>  Linux avatar 3.11.0-15-generic #23-Ubuntu SMP Mon Dec 9 18:17:04
UTC 2013 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
Container  =>  Linux cn-01 3.11.0-15-generic #23-Ubuntu SMP Mon Dec 9
18:17:04 UTC 2013 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
lxc version: 1.0.0.alpha1

Thanks in Advance,
Abhijit.