[lxc-users] incorrect info on linuxcontainers.org

ivo welch ivo.welch at anderson.ucla.edu
Fri Feb 7 04:53:24 UTC 2014

(there was no email admin address to send corrections to, so I thought
I would post it here.  I am a *complete* novice.  I wanted to try out
lxc).  I read the main page and followed it:)

How do I use it?

More details are available in the individual manpages shipped with LXC
itself. But a basic example of how to create, start and stop a
container would be as follow:

lxc-create -t ubuntu -n p1
lxc-start -n p1 -d
lxc-ls --fancy p1
lxc-stop -n p1

ok, so I tried it.  on my ubuntu 13.04 gnome system, this does not work:

$ sudo bash
# lxc-create -t ubuntu -n p1
Generating locales...
  en_US.UTF-8... up-to-date
Generation complete.
Creating SSH2 RSA key; this may take some time ...
Creating SSH2 DSA key; this may take some time ...
Creating SSH2 ECDSA key; this may take some time ...
invoke-rc.d: policy-rc.d denied execution of start.

##
# The default user is 'ubuntu' with password 'ubuntu'!
# Use the 'sudo' command to run tasks as root in the container.
##

# lxc-start -n -p1 -d
lxc-start: Executing '/sbin/init' with no configuration file may crash the host

this is probably explained elsewhere, but if the function of the home
page is to get novices to try, posting a set of starter instructions
that work under vanilla ubuntu would be helpful.

in addition, may I suggest stating in the document how one would
access/ssh into the container?  does it have a host-ip or interface?
this would make novicing into lxc easier, too.

I don't want to waste everyone's time, so I will probably move on to
some other software experiments...

regards

/iaw

----