[lxc-users] Environment variable question

C. R. Oldham cro at ncbt.org
Wed Dec 31 23:46:27 UTC 2014

Greetings,

I've been experimenting with using Arch Linux for a container host.

I've noticed that Arch's default PATH is quite different from other distros.  It appears that lxc passes in some environment variables when running lxc-attach, including PATH, and in particular when running an Ubuntu container most things don't work.  Part of this is because Ubuntu sets its default PATH in /etc/environment, which only gets parsed and processed by PAM.  lxc-attach doesn't involve PAM, so the PATH doesn't get set.

In older manpages for LXC that I found on the net it seems there used to be a configuration variable 'lxc.environment', enabling things like 'lxc.environment = PATH=/usr/bin/...', but this is not present in lxc 1.0.7.  Is there another way to do this now?

--cro