[lxc-users] Setting up LXC on Ubuntu 14.04

Fajar A. Nugraha list at fajar.net
Mon Aug 11 10:33:06 UTC 2014

On Mon, Aug 11, 2014 at 5:12 PM, Kevin LaTona <lists at studiosola.com> wrote:

> I've narrowed down the problem and it's more about how to setup the LXC network than LXC's themselves.
>
> What is not fully clear to me is how best to define the /etc/network/interfaces file for the way I want to run the host machine.
>

> lxcbr0 creates a 10.x.x.x for it's internal network usage needs while using the ubuntu template.
>
> I prefer to run a 192.168.x.x for my networking purposes.

See /etc/default/lxc-net

> Utlimately for now at least,  I want to have a single public address that I would use iptables to route the incoming requests to the correct LXC.
>
> As this to me seems to be the simplest way to do it.

See https://help.ubuntu.com/lts/serverguide/lxc.html , "Networking"
section. There's a DNAT NAT example there.

> Where I am getting stuck right now is.
>
> What address to give the host machine on eth0 so I can still SSH into the host machine while any of the LXC's are also running.

Doesn't matter. That is, not if you only forward PORTS.
You could (for example) redirect/DNAT port 80 and 443 on the host to
the container, port 1022 on the host to container's port 22, and DON'T
redirecit port 22.

> Not sure if it's simpler to just have two NIC cards in this case.
>
> Or create a virtual NIC.
>
> Or to create a new bridge and call it br0 and then tie br0 and lxcbr0 together.

If you use a new bridge you don't need lxcbr0.

> If I create a config some thing like this on the Host.
>

> auto lo
> iface lo inet loopback
>
> auto eth0
> iface eth0 inet manual
>

> iface lxcbr0 inet static

don't do that

>    address 192.168.0.50
>    netmask 255.255.255.0
>    broadcast 192.168.0.255
>    network 192.168.0.0
>    gateway 192.168.0.1
>    dns-nameservers 8.8.8.8 8.8.4.4
>    bridge_ports eth0
>    bridge_fd 9
>    bridge_hello 2
>    bridge_maxage 12
>    bridge_stp off
>

> As soon as I bring it up I no longer am able to SSH in the host machine.

Duh. You have no IP configured on eth0.

> Any thoughts about how you would or are setting up the /etc/network/interfaces doc?

Read the documentation.

Follow it.

Don't invent new config/setups if you don't know what it does.

--
Fajar