[lxc-users] sysctl -p no longer allowed in container

Dan Kegel dank at kegel.com
Tue Apr 29 19:08:38 UTC 2014

My scripts were (unwisely) expecting to be able to do things like
        echo "kernel.sem = 250 65536 32 32768" | sudo tee -a /etc/sysctl.conf
        sudo /sbin/sysctl -p
inside the container.  Tsk.  I seem to have gotten away with it in
Ubuntu 12.04, but Ubuntu 14.04 complains
   + sudo /sbin/sysctl -p
   sysctl: permission denied on key 'kernel.sem'

That makes sense -- containers shouldn't be able to tweak kernel parameters.
So now I'm rejiggering my scripts to do that outside the container.

Onwards!