[lxc-users] Container Memory Monitoring

Claudio Kuenzler ck at claudiokuenzler.com
Mon Apr 7 17:34:16 UTC 2014

On Mon, Apr 7, 2014 at 4:44 PM, Serge Hallyn <serge.hallyn at ubuntu.com>wrote:

> Quoting Christoph Mitasch (cmitasch at thomas-krenn.com)
>
> Hello Serge,
> >
> > thanks for feedback regarding the library. Is any development code for
> the library already available?
>
> See
>
> https://lists.linuxcontainers.org/pipermail/lxc-users/2014-March/006414.html
> and
> http://fabiokung.com/2014/03/13/memory-inside-linux-containers/
>
> > One more general question regarding memory limitation with containers.
> >
> > Since memory.failcnt also fails when Page Cache fills up the assigned
> memory, what is the recommended way to limit memory for a container?

Hello Christoph,

A while ago I started check_lxc with the goal to have a "real"
Nagios/Icinga plugin for all kinds of lxc checks.
As the time urged back then I had to write it quickly so there are a lot of
improvements possible. I never called it "production ready" so I didn't
write a documentation nor did I publish the plugin. Please note that back
then it was version 0.8 which was used in my environment.

The last time I worked on it, the next thing on my todo list was to add a
switch to either include or exclude cached memory for each LXC guest.

Source code is here https://github.com/Napsty/check_lxc . Maybe it can be
of service.

cheers,
ck