[lxc-users] Do nested containers require that unprivileged container creation be supported?

Michael H. Warfield mhw at WittsEnd.com
Sat Apr 5 23:03:37 UTC 2014

On Sun, 2014-04-06 at 01:40 +0300, Rami Rosen wrote:
> Hi,
> First, thanks Michael, for drawing my attention to it. I knew that
> Fedora 21 is going to enable user namespaces.

> Still, I wanted to reiterate my point: with my Fedora 20, where I ran
> update a while ago, user namespaces were not available, according to
> lxc-checkonfig, and still nesting with a busybox container did work.

So lxc-checkconfig indicated that it was NOT available?  That's weird.
Hydra (my server) was a Fedora 19 system until I recently did an upgrade
using the "yum update" method...

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Upgrading_Fedora_using_yum

It's now a Fedora 20 server and I have NOT installed a custom kernel on
it.  So, I'm on a stock Fedora Project kernel on Fedora 20 and it is
enabled.  I haven't tried any of the "nested containers" or a busybox
container, though.

Could you post the "uname -a" of your system in question?

> Btw, I heard that in the first release of RHEL 7, user namespaces will
> be enabled in kernel, for ABI compatibility, but using them will be
> disabled in userspace, because of security concerns. Only in later
> updates it will be enabled. I hope that this scheme is not used with
> Fedora 20.
>
> Regards,
> Rami Rosen

 <בתאריך 5 באפר 2014 23:15, "Michael H. Warfield" <mhw at wittsend.com>