[lxc-users] how to run unprivileged containers on Debian stable (+backports)

Thomas Koch thomas at koch.ro
Fri Apr 4 14:38:54 UTC 2014

Hi,

I've found stgrabers article on running lxc unprivileged containers[1]. But
he's using ubuntu and I'd like to know, whether anybody tried it on Debian and
which packages would need to be backported to current Debian stable.

[1] https://www.stgraber.org/2014/01/17/lxc-1-0-unprivileged-containers

He explicitly mentions "A very recent version of shadow that supports
subuid/subgid". Is version 4.1.5.1 recent enough? But I can't find information
on subuid support in this version and there's no more recent version of shadow
anywhere.

"A version of PAM with a loginuid patch that’s yet to be in any released
version"? What version, what patch?

"Kernel: 3.13 + a couple of staging patches (which Ubuntu has in its kernel)".
So 3.14 should be good?

I already compiled lxc 1.0.1 myself on Debian stable.

Thank you, Thomas Koch