[Lxc-users] Bridged network interface inside Virtualbox VM

Luis M. Ibarra mibarra at hacom.com.pe
Fri Sep 27 13:40:45 UTC 2013

I'm gonna forward this to the list:

> Short answer, you can't.... as far as I tested =)

Thanks, Luis, at least I know I don't need to waste more time on this
yak-shaving adventure.

> - Network cards must be enable in promiscuous mode  "Allow all", 'cause
> the lxc guest needs to flood its MAC address (correct me if i'm wrong).
> - If you are using host only mode for the network cards, you need a NAT
> in the physical machine for the vbox guests to get internet connection.

Yea, i tried promiscuous mode but that still didn't help the lxc guest
make outbound connections.

> I'm pretty sure this is an issue regarding mac flooding with the lxc
> veth interfaces and virtualbox.

My understanding is that vbox can only have *one* MAC address per
virtual network device.  Someone please correct me if I have this
wrong.

The only thing I can think of at this point is creating a NAT network
on the LXC host, and using iptables to forward traffic back and forth
between the LXC host and its guests.  It's unfortunate that we don't
have a native "lightweight" virtualization solution on OSX.  Maybe
I'll look into booting Linux off a USB drive and running LXC natively
on the Macbook via a CentOS or Ubuntu.

thanks

Sean