[Lxc-users] Permissions on devpts in container

John lxc at jelmail.com
Wed Sep 25 12:09:17 UTC 2013

> Having further investigated this I agree it's a problem that lies
> outside LXC. I know this because I have reproduced the same problem on a
> test rig host (outside any containers). Thanks for replying to my
> question Serge.
Well I have found the problem and it is LXC-related (kind-of).

I have one container on my system that uses init instead of systemd, so
its configuration is quite old. In its container config it still has
explicit mounts for the system mounts:

lxc.mount.entry = none /srv/lxc/mycontainer/dev/pts devpts defaults 0 0
lxc.mount.entry = none /srv/lxc/mycontainer/dev/shm tmpfs defaults 0 0
lxc.mount.entry = none /srv/lxc/mycontainer/proc proc defaults 0 0
lxc.mount.entry = none /srv/lxc/mycontainer/sys sysfs defaults 0 0

I found that the container didn't work with these commented out, so I
changed the devpts one to

lxc.mount.entry = none /srv/lxc/mycontainer/dev/pts devpts
defaults,gid=5,mode=620,ptmxmode=000 0 0

and now it works but, at some point, I will update this container to use
systemd.

Its interesting that this wasn't an issue before I updated but I think
that has something to do with Arch Linux's adoption of glibc 2.18, whch
removes pt_chown (but that's getting into stuff I don't know much about).

I am still puzzled how a container can effect changes on the host
though... Is there some configuration that I should be doing to prevent
this, but am perhaps not?