[Lxc-users] [lxc-devel] Working LXC templates?

Natanael Copa ncopa at alpinelinux.org
Mon Sep 9 06:58:54 UTC 2013

On Sun, 08 Sep 2013 20:33:16 -0400
"Michael H. Warfield" <mhw at WittsEnd.com> wrote:

> With all due respect...
>
> On Sun, 2013-09-08 at 16:08 -0700, Tony Su wrote:
> > After putting some thought into this,
> > IMO LXC badly needs a universal tool with the following features
> >
> > - A single script should be used to run on <any> HostOS, creating
> > <any> supported Container OS. Although this would make the script
> > extremely large, IMO it would actually be easier to maintain in the
> > long run.
>
> Actually, no.  From my experience (30+ years in software development),
> it would turn into a morass.
>
> The problem here is that the maintainer(s) would then need to understand
> how each and every distribution is installed and how it would be
> installed on each and every distribution.  It would distill the worse of
> all the problems we have now in the templates into one great big dung
> pile.  It would rapidly become unmaintainable.  The "extremely large" is
> the red letter warning that it will become unmaintainable as fewer and
> fewer people understand what this great big huge blob does.

I tend to agree with this.

What I do think could be done is to use template APIs. Either by having
a script "library" with helper functions (for things like:
generate_mac_address etc) or let the template scripts be "plugins" that
must provide a set of pre-defined functions (eg. install_distro,
configure_distro, copy_configuration etc) or maybe a combination of
those two.

-nc