[Lxc-users] stdin: is not a tty

Arie Skliarouk skliarie at gmail.com
Wed Nov 13 11:18:06 UTC 2013

Hi,

I am trying to launch an ubuntu 12.04 vserver on top of LXC 1.0 (ubuntu
13.10). Console access works, but ssh does not with the errors
*X11 forwarding request failed on channel 0*
*PTY allocation request failed on channel 0*
*[content ot /etc/motd]*
*stdin: is not a tty*

The /dev/pts is empty, and attempt to mount it from inside of the container
fails:

# mount -t devpts none /dev/pts -o rw,noexec,nosuid,gid=5,mode=0620
mount: block device none is write-protected, mounting read-only
mount: cannot mount block device none read-only

The filesystem is not mounted from fstab of the container as well:
devpts           /dev/pts     devpts  rw,noexec,nosuid,gid=5,mode=0620

Initially the container had mknod operation disabled (lxc.cap.drop =
mknod), I commented it out, but that did not help.

I also copied the inodes of /dev/pts from a different machine, to no avail.

ssh -d -d -d fails with this error:
*...*
*debug1: Allocating pty.*
*openpty: No such file or directory*
*session_pty_req: session 0 alloc failed*
*...*

udevd is running properly.

Please help..

--