[Lxc-users] Regarding creating a LXC container in fedora 17

Michael H. Warfield mhw at WittsEnd.com
Sat May 18 18:45:31 UTC 2013

On Sun, 2013-05-19 at 00:02 +0530, Shridhar Daithankar wrote:
> On Saturday, May 18, 2013 09:58:26 AM Michael H. Warfield wrote:
> > On Sat, 2013-05-18 at 19:02 +0530, Ajith Adapa wrote:
> > > Then I have started the container using below command and tried to
> > > connect to its shell using lxc-console command but I ended up with
> > > below message. Ideally I should see a prompt but its just hangs down
> > > there. <Ctl+a q> works and nothing else.
> > >
> > > [root at ipiblr ~]# lxc-start -n TEST -d
> > > [root at ipiblr ~]# lxc-console -n TEST
> > >
> > > Type <Ctrl+a q> to exit the console, <Ctrl+a Ctrl+a> to enter Ctrl+a
> > > itself
> >
> > Oh, crap...  I keep forgetting about that (because I don't use it).
> > That needs to be noted somewhere in the documentation.
> >
> > That's yet another BAD decision on the part of the systemd crowd,
> > lxc-console is probably not going to work, at least for the time being.
> > They (systemd) intentionally, with documented malice a forethought,
> > disable gettys on the vtys in the container if systemd detects that it's
> > in a container.  However, /dev/console in the container is still active
> > and is connected to lxc-start and I'm able to log in there but I have
> > never gotten lxc-console to work with a systemd container and I don't
> > know of anything I can do about it.  You would need some way to force
> > the container to start gettys on the vtys.
> >
> > Maybe, if I (or someone else) can figure out a way to do that (force the
> > gettys to start on the vtys), it could be integrated into the Fedora
> > template.  My patches for the autodev stuff (plus other stuff) have now
> > been accepted and applied by Serge, so that's done.  Maybe I can look
> > deeper into this morass now.

> First of all, let me say thank you for your concise message upthread. It
> renewed my interest in lxc and I managed to get a working container for the
> first time. I will post a detailed HOWTO shortly.

> I ran into the same lxc-console issue and managed to solve it by commenting
> out ConditionPathExists line in
> /etc/systemd/system/getty.target.wants/getty\@tty1.service

NICE!  I'm going to look at that and see what I can do with it.  That
gives me a thread to pick at.  It should be possible to work that into
the Fedora template.  We've already got systemd related code in there
and this would be nice addition.

Many thanks!

Regards,
Mike