[Lxc-users] lxc-clone -s -B lvm, deletes original lv if no space left!

Serge Hallyn serge.hallyn at ubuntu.com
Fri Jun 21 17:10:53 UTC 2013

Quoting Serge Hallyn (serge.hallyn at ubuntu.com):
> > Quoting zoolook (nbensa+lxcusers at gmail.com):
> > > Hi Serge,

> > > on saucy, with ppa:ubuntu-lxc/daily
> > > (0.9.0.0~staging~20130612-1544-0ubuntu1~ppa1~saucy1), no patches
> > > applied.
> > >
> > > sysadmin at lxc3:~$ sudo lvs
> > >   LV             VG           Attr      LSize Pool Origin Data%  Move
> > > Log Copy%  Convert
> > >   lxc-test1-root vg_vmstorage -wi-a---- 7,81g
> > >
> > > sysadmin at lxc3:~$ sudo lxc-clone -s -p /srv/lxc -P /srv/lxc -o test1 -n test101
> > >   Volume group "vg_vmstorage" has insufficient free space (617
> > > extents): 2097 required.
> > > lxc: could not create /dev/vg_vmstorage/lxc-test101-root snapshot of
> >
> > all right, not sure why yet, but the naming of your rootfs is somehow
> > causing the problem.  I was able to reproduce this when I renamed my
> > test101 rootfs to xxx-test101-xxx.
> >
> > I'll look into why later today.  Thanks!
>
> Oh I see the problem.  The update_name_and_paths() only replaces
> the container name if it is a whole word.
>
> Need to think about whether it is safe to change that.  (What if the
> container name is 'c'?)

For that matter, if you call your original container lxc or rootfs,
you're gonna have a bad time.

So I think I will make sure to only update anything after an '='.  Maybe
even only in certain lines (lxc.hook, lxc.root, lxc.mount, etc).  Then
make sure to accept '-' as word splitter.  Then do the patch to not
remove rootfs if we haven't created it yet.

-serge