[Lxc-users] lxcbr0 MAC addr issue

Hans Feldt hans.feldt at ericsson.com
Wed Jun 5 06:23:26 UTC 2013

It is a fact that the bridge takes the lowest MAC address from the attached ports for the host port. See for example http://backreference.org/2010/07/28/linux-bridge-mac-addresses-and-dynamic-ports/

Thus if a container is restarted, the host port can potentially change its MAC address and containers will have a stale ARP cache. This of course causes problem for communication container->host.

Tested the workaround mentioned in the link but then I got problem with network manager on a later Ubuntu version. Then I tried using a dummy container and reusing its MAC addr for the host port. Works but...

Now my question, could not lxc (at boot) setup a fixed MAC addr for the host port?

Thanks,
Hans