[Lxc-users] Routing issues

Rory Campbell-Lange rory at campbell-lange.net
Tue Jun 4 10:21:35 UTC 2013

On 03/06/13, Serge Hallyn (serge.hallyn at ubuntu.com) wrote:
> Quoting Rory Campbell-Lange (rory at campbell-lange.net):
> > On 04/06/13, Papp Tamas (tompos at martos.bme.hu) wrote:
> > >
> > > What is the IP address of the container?
> >
> > The host is on aa.bb.cc.103 (a public net address)
> > and the container is on aa.bb.cc.87.
> >
> > I can get from 87 to 103, but I can't ping the gateway from the
> > container.
>
> Hm, here's an idea.  Lxc sets /proc/sys/net/ipv4/conf/$link/forwarding.
> Perhaps that isn't enough.  You might echo 1 >
> /proc/sys/net/ipv4/conf/eth0/forwarding and
> /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward.
>
> But,
>
> 1. what does 'route -n' in the container (and on the host) show?
>
> 2. when you ping the ip address of your router, what does traceroute
> (wireshark, whatever) on the host show?

Hi Serge

Thanks very much for your email.

Going through the steps above showed me I had a firewall problem. Dropping the
firewall allowed the container to hit the internet. Apologies for this beginner
problem.

I'd be grateful to know if anyone has some firewall (iptables) advice for
allowing traffic to the container? I expect to run another firewall on the
container itself.

Regards
Rory

--