[Lxc-users] frequent host machine kernel panic

Michael H. Warfield mhw at WittsEnd.com
Sun Jun 2 18:01:55 UTC 2013

On Sun, 2013-06-02 at 17:02 +0530, Kalyana sundaram wrote:
> lxc 0.8.0

I saw from your original post that you're running CentOS 6.2.  WHY?
CentOS is on rolling release and you should be on 6.4.  That tells me
you are fairly out of date.

What version kernel are you running?  Seems like it's a kernel bug and
there's always a possibility that it's been fixed.

Have you tried updating to 6.4?

What are the distributions and versions you are attempting to run in the
containers?

How did you install lxc on CentOS?  I don't see it in the CentOS
repositories and 0.8.0 seems newer than I would expect, even if it were.

What were the instructions you followed to create your containers?
Reason I'm asking is that the CentOS wiki page on creating lxc
containers is referring to the libvirt lxc and not this lxc.  If you
followed the instructions on this page, then you are using the libvirt
lxc which is a different project and not this one!

http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/LXC-on-CentOS6

Yes, it's confusing.  Not sure who's to blame for two projects with the
same name for the same functionality.

There are some recent (from back in March) instructions out there that
refer to setting up this lxc flavor on CentOS 6.2 which baffle the crap
out of me that they hadn't used or recommended using the latest version
of CentOS.  They also recommended using the OpenVZ CentOS 5 templates.
I'm not really sure I would follow those instructions.

http://www.techrepublic.com/blog/opensource/how-to-create-lxc-system-containers-to-isolate-services/1299

CentOS 6 is still upstart based.  You could probably get away with 0.7.5
which is what I would have expected in the repos.  We haven't created an
lxc-centos template (yet) for lxc-create but I've been considering it
based on the lxc-fedora template (the differences are rather ugly).  The
procedures for creating the container are significantly different
between those two sets of instructions (the CentOS wiki and that set at
TechRepublic.

I have used the OpenVZ CentOS 6 templates to create LXC containers but
I'm running on a Fedora 17 host with very up-to-date kernels.  At the
very least, you should update those host systems to the latest CentOS
release and kernels in order to get any help analyzing what the problem
is.

> On Sun, Jun 2, 2013 at 12:02 PM, Papp Tamas <tompos at martos.bme.hu> wrote:

> > On 06/02/2013 06:06 AM, Kalyana sundaram wrote:
> >
> >> No actually kernel panics happen in more than one host.
> >>

> > Please keep the mailing list in the address list and don't use toppost.
> >
> > What version do you use?
> >

> > tamas

> --
> Kalyanasundaram