[Lxc-users] Hi all please treat nicely as mother says I am special

Bretton Woods woods.bretton at yahoo.co.uk
Fri Jul 26 09:17:37 UTC 2013

Noob LXC user who thinks LXC rocks but is undersold.

What about Planet-LXC it should be done but then again before I go on Something I only knew about from a look at the Archive

Docker! Like wtf where did that come from? I do searches on LXC fairly regular and that one missed my radar.

I am not a programmer but as a consultant I like to keep up with what the Jones are doing.

I am sort of stunned but instead of a template name a git repo makes much more sense and someone has fired the lxc starting gun.

What do the others think my first thoughts are that I don't like it as it has to much marketing behind it, Docker Ha! Containers Yeah!

But it does seem a good idea and know some things that I have been screaming for should start to happen.

Server services such as email, proxy, gateway, database, webserver, authentication, file can be thrown together as bricks with the network being the mortar.

I have one pet project and that is very similar to https://github.com/rogaha/docker-desktop personally I would like to see something like lubuntu doing the same.

I am more up for using Guacamole http://guac-dev.org/ in a container as the authentication gateway and proxy to tunnel a HTML5 platform agnostic VNC/RDP session.
Docker great as this would be perfect to stretch what it is capable of. Guac might have multiple instances and sit behind a reverse proxy and currently the main working authentication method is via SQL so there is also a MariaDB container Docker I should say.

My first question is about common security policies? Is there a way to link dockers together so they inherit a common security policy or policies? Is it do it yourself via openldap or samba4?
Also because of containers being isolated apart  from the network is anything done to firewall each one automatically apart from services designated?

This is where I am confused about docker because with AUFS and union mount points it is possible to share a common rootfs? I hope so in the case of a virtual desktop so you can minimise much in a similar way a live CD provides a userspace sharing that mount point. This is where LXC blows the pants off hypervisor virtualisation as its footprint for each user is tiny whilst still being isolated from process crashes of others.

Is this where nested containers will be needed we have a container that contains a bridge to create a separate subnet that allows the creation of a virtual office lan. In this container we have a docker that can create certain types of virtual desktop (application sets) and mount a union?

I was very happy with   http://lxc-webpanel.github.io/ but I guess that is out of the portal Ha!

I guess I will need to have a look at https://index.docker.io/u/crosbymichael/dockerui/ but there are a few offerings.

Ooof happy but confused.