[Lxc-users] Container failed, can't remove cgroup

Lars Kellogg-Stedman lars at oddbit.com
Mon Jan 28 21:54:14 UTC 2013

> banging my head against LXC for a bit today.  My latest problem is that
> if a container fails to start, I run into this situation:
>
>   # lxc-start -n node0
>   lxc-start: Device or resource busy - failed to remove previous cgroup '/sys/fs/cgroup/systemd/node0'
>   lxc-start: failed to spawn 'node0'
>   lxc-start: Device or resource busy - failed to remove cgroup '/sys/fs/cgroup/systemd/node0'

Upon further investigation, this happens not just on failure -- I run
into this situation anytime I stop a container using, e.g., lxc-stop.
On the other hand, I do *not* experience this issue if I stop a
container by running "halt" from inside the container.

These containers are (at the moment) running a minimal Arch Linux
install; a running container looks like this:

  # ps -e
  PID TTY          TIME CMD
   1 ?        00:00:00 systemd
  14 ?        00:00:00 systemd-journal