[Lxc-users] total RAM limit

Gary Ballantyne gary.ballantyne at haulashore.com
Fri Jan 11 18:17:24 UTC 2013

Hello All

I understand that I can limit the RAM of a single container via
lxc.cgroup.memory.limit_in_bytes. But, is there a way to limit the total
RAM available to all containers (without limiting each individually)?

E.g., say we have 4G available. Rather than specifying a maximum number
of containers (16 with 250M say), I'd like to allocate 4G to all
containers, without a hard upper limit on the number of containers (16
in this case), and let the performance degrade gradually as more
containers are added. (I'm anticipating being able to use many more
containers this way, since our container's RAM usage is likely to be
bursty).

Many thanks

Gary