[Lxc-users] tail -f (inotify) not working in container?

Dan Kegel dank at kegel.com
Tue Feb 26 18:36:42 UTC 2013

Oddly, tail -f doesn't seem to be working properly inside my container.
It displays ten lines, and then sits forever.  ^C and running it again
shows a more up to date ten lines, but then sits forever.

strace shows:
inotify_init()                          = 4
inotify_add_watch(4, "err.log",
IN_MODIFY|IN_ATTRIB|IN_DELETE_SELF|IN_MOVE_SELF) = 1
fstat(3, {st_mode=S_IFREG|0664, st_size=380103, ...}) = 0
read(4,

This is ubuntu 12.04.1.

Anyone run into this before?  I see a few lxc/inotify problem reports,
but nothing that seems related.