[Lxc-users] Small SAMBA problem

Greg Hartzog glhartzog at comcast.net
Sun Feb 17 23:07:27 UTC 2013

Hello everyone.  I am working to use LXC to reproduce a setup I have
been using under OpenSolaris Zones and FreeBSD Jails.

I have an Ubuntu 12.10 base server with 3 ethernet interfaces. Then I
have 4 VMs, each running SAMBA, along with SAMBA in the base server.

One ethernet interface is used only for the base server.  2 VMs share
each of the other two ethernet interfaces via bridge interfaces.

At this point everything is working to about 90%.  I can access the
SAMBA instances in each of the 4 VMs by DNS name as well as the SAMBA
instance in the base server.

If I run SMCLIENT on the base server again the NetBios names of the VM
SAMBA instances I can see them.  If I run SMBTREE in the base server,
however, none of the SAMBA instances from the VMs appear.

The VM SAMBA instances also do not appear in Windows Network
Neighborhood or OS X Finder.

I am using the latest LXC package in the current Ubuntu 12.10
respository as well as the latest LIBVIRT so I have the BRCTL command.

I have been thinking this might be something to do with the ethernet
bridge I have configured and running, but I can not find anything
indicating anything other than what I have already configured.

Suggestions on things to try would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Greg Hartzog
glhartzog at comcast.net