[lxc-users] [Lxc-users] LXC and sound in container -

TuxRaiderPen tuxraiderpen at wpascanner.com
Wed Dec 25 15:33:35 UTC 2013

On Friday, November 15, 2013 04:50:58 John wrote:
> On 09/11/13 15:12, brian mullan wrote:
> > I've searched the web for 2 weeks now and can find no documentation
> > describing steps to configure "sound" in an LXC container.
>
> Here is what I do. It's just ALSA (not Pulseaudio) but I do run a
> desktop in a container and it works for me.

Very interesting! !! THANK YOU!

I am interested in sound device use inside LXC containers, under ALSA *only*,
so I have a few questions...

Is this sound *output* only ???

Have you tried using :

1) Line in
2) Mic In
3) ALSA plugins:

I use something like this:

asound.conf
pcm.onboard{
    type hw
    card 0
}
ctl.onboard {
    type hw
    card 0
}
### Dsnoop both channels
pcm.dsnoop_onboard {
    type dsnoop
    ipc_key 32
    slave {
        pcm "onboard"
        channels 2
        period_size 320
        rate 48000
        buffer_size 8192
        format S32_LE
    }
    bindings {
        0 0
        1 1
    }
}
### Dsnoop splited channels
pcm.onboard_left {
     type dsnoop
     ipc_key 32
     slave {
         pcm "onboard"
         channels 2
     }
     bindings.0  0
}

pcm.onboard_right {
     type dsnoop
     ipc_key 32
     slave {
         pcm "onboard"
         channels 2
     }
     bindings.0  1
}

### PLUGS ##
### used with darkice
### device = plug:plug_onboard_left
pcm.plug_onboard_left{
        type route
        slave.pcm "onboard_left"
        slave.channels 1
        ttable.0.0 1
}
pcm.plug_onboard_right{
        type route
        slave.pcm "onboard_right"
        slave.channels 1
        ttable.0.0 1
}

I then feed these pcm.plug_onboard_right to some software to process each
plugin...

I am not so much interested in SOUND OUTPUT, but CAPTURE of audio via a
software package and then feeding it onward...

I am very interested in your solution as it uses ALSA only, as I may be using
KUbuntu, highly customized, but first step I do is

 sudo apt-get purge pulseaudio

So I am very interested in your solution and getting access to the ALSA
plugins....

Hmmm.. maybe it would be best to get a few of those USB fob sound cards and
just assign each to a specific LXC container, and then put the asound.conf into
each container and thus each container could do two encodings... hmmmm...

Thanks again for your input on ALSA based sound in LXC!