[lxc-users] lxc-execute with read-only rootfs

Antonin Bas antoninb at stanford.edu
Thu Dec 19 02:29:57 UTC 2013

Thanks Cal. I will look into this.
However, for now, I have found a quick fix. I just added "lxc.pivotdir
= /mnt" to my config file. The pivotdir is used when pivoting the
original root file system. It seems that in older versions of lxc, the
default value was /mnt but this was changed since (in my case it was
/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/
lxc/lxc_putold by default). Nothing is actually written in this
directory, so it can work even in read-only mode. However, if this
location does not exist lxc will try to create it, which will fail.
mnt/ exists so no problem.
I hope I did not break anything by changing it to /mnt. So far it
seems to be working.
Note that I still have the following error:

lxc-execute: Read-only file system - error unlinking
/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/lxc/
dev/kmsg

but it does not provide the container from spawning.

Antonin