[lxc-users] Disk space not released after deleting rootfs image

Cal Leeming [Simplicity Media Ltd] cal.leeming at simplicitymedialtd.co.uk
Fri Dec 13 03:59:29 UTC 2013

Hello,

I'm able to create containers which use a single file for their rootfs;

$ dd if=/dev/zero of=/rootfs.img bs=1 count=1024
$ mkfs.ext4 /rootfs.img
-- other debootstrap commands here --

The image runs successfully in both lxc-start, lxc-start-ephemeral and
lxc-execute.

However if I then attempt to delete the rootfs image after running
lxc-start or lxc-execute, the disk space is not given back and I have to
reboot in order to reclaim the disk space.

Does anyone know why this might be happening? Perhaps LXC is keeping a
scale descriptor open somewhere?

Any help would be really appreciated, can provide more info/debugging if
needed.

Thanks

Cal