[Lxc-users] Containers are all getting same IP address

Serge Hallyn serge.hallyn at ubuntu.com
Wed Aug 14 17:12:02 UTC 2013

Quoting Serge Hallyn (serge.hallyn at ubuntu.com):
> Quoting Jay Taylor (jay at jaytaylor.com):
> > After further investigation yesterday, I am not convinced it is an
> > IP-address issue.  The affected host machines are unable to start any
> > existing or newly created containers.  The incident that triggered the
> > issue was cloning 1 container into 10 new ones, and then launching them all
> > simultaneously.  Are there any known concurrency issues with LXC which
> > would explain why executing a lot of clone/start LXC commands at the same
>
> Known, no, but that doesn't mean they're not there :)
>
> However, could you try to reproduce this with non-btrfs?
>
> I'll try to reproduce with btrfs...

In a fresh raring instance I mounted a btrfs disk on /mnt, and did

	lxc-create -t ubuntu -B btrfs -P /mnt -n c1
	for i in `seq 1 10`; do
		lxc-clone -s -p /mnt -o c1 -n x$i
	done
	for i in `seq 1 10`; do
		lxc-start -d -P /mnt -n x$i
	done

	Then connected to two of the containers with lxc-console,
		lxc-console -P /mnt -n x2
		lxc-console -P /mnt -n x9

	both were up and had unique ip addresses.

Again this was a raring instance with ppa:ubuntu-lxc/daily installed.

-serge