[Lxc-users] Fwd: Running sudo shutdown -h now in container causes host to freeze/crash

brian mullan bmullan.mail at gmail.com
Tue Aug 13 22:52:44 UTC 2013

resending...

Ok... did the following:

$ sudo su
$ shutdown -h now

Same problem... Host PC freezes/crashes, no mouse, keyboard, only Hard Boot

NOTE:   I didn't capture this before but here is the sequence I see during
shutdown just before the Host PC freezes/crashes.

*The system is going down for halt NOW!
ubuntu at test:~$ <4>init: tty4 main process (256) killed by TERM signal
<4>init: tty2 main process (260) killed by TERM signal
<4>init: tty3 main process (262) killed by TERM signal
<4>init: cron main process (266) killed by TERM signal
<4>init: console main process (283) killed by TERM signal
<4>init: tty1 main process (288) killed by TERM signal
<4>init: hwclock-save main process (344) terminated with status 70
TERM environment variable not set.
<4>init: plymouth-upstart-bridge main process (348) terminated with status 1
 * Asking all remaining processes to terminate...
   ...done.
 * All processes ended within 1 seconds....
   ...done.
initctl: Event failed
 * Deactivating swap...
   ...fail!
umount: /run/lock: not mounted
umount: /run/shm: not mounted
mount: cannot mount block device /dev/mapper/ubuntu--vg-root read-only
 * Will now halt
*

Also doing some google searches I don't think I am the only one seeing this
problem  of the Host PC freezing/crashing after you issue a Shutdown
command in the container.

See these for some others seeming to have similar or same problem I am:

http://superuser.com/questions/630609/lxc-container-shutdown-on-ubuntu-make-the-system-stop-to-work/631429#631429

 http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.linux.kernel.containers.lxc.general/5445

Brian