[Lxc-users] How long the dhcp lease lasts

Michael H. Warfield mhw at WittsEnd.com
Mon Apr 22 21:46:43 UTC 2013

On Mon, 2013-04-22 at 22:58 +0200, Robin Monjo wrote:
> Thank you for your answer.
> I want to have the hostname and ip written in the /etc/hosts file so I
> can access them directly using their hostname and not their ip. For
> example, I'd like to ping the hostname rather than the ip.

But...  You should get that from dnsmasq and not need them
in /etc/hosts.  That's the whole point of the DNS system.  Reliance
on /etc/hosts is old old stuff that was intended to be replaced by the
DNS system ages ago.  We should only need to rely on /etc/hosts for
local things and very rare exceptional conditions.

> I will document myself on dnsmasq to get a better understanding of everything.

Cool.  In most cases, dnsmasq can deal with DNS issues.  You have to be
sure that your host server references it, though, in /etc/resolv.conf
(i.e. "nameserver 127.0.0.1) or it won't now where to ask.  You then
configure other domains under /etc/dnsmasq.d/ since dnsmasq is a limited
forwarding / caching server.  To go "full bore" will a full dns server
and dhcp server, you would use the dhcpd package and bind (Berkeley
Internet Name Daemon) package but that's probably overkill in your case.

Regards,
Mike