[Lxc-users] Problem with: lxc.autodev=1

Michael H. Warfield mhw at WittsEnd.com
Sun Apr 21 03:46:34 UTC 2013

On Sat, 2013-04-20 at 22:01 +0200, Andreas Otto wrote:
> Hi,

> thanks for the fast answer,

Been kind-of deeply involved in the whole systemd / audodev thing so I'm
a bit sensitive to some of the bizarre nuances of systemd and various
versions.  You got my attention with that subject line.

They (systemd) really broke far too many things far too unnecessarily
(with little or no benefit from what I can discern) and then tried to
tell everyone else how they should be doing things.  It's been a real
mess.  You can probably tell, I'm not a fan of systemd at the moment.
Maybe when it grows up and matures a bit more...

I've got Fedora 14 (upstart - no systemd) working with and without
autodev, Fedora 15 working with upstart (with systemd only after painful
tweaking) and Fedora 16 not at all with systemd (major udev problems)
but working on Fedora 17 with systemd following their recommendations.
Problem is that their recommendations don't work for all versions of
systemd.  I've really given up on Fedora 15 and 16 in a container just
because systemd is not stable or consistent in its behavior.

> if lxc version is:

> host# rpm -q lxc
> lxc-0.8.0-3.5.1.x86_64
> -> this is the version from opensuse 12.3

First recommendation is to get on 0.9.0.  We got a lot of fixes in there
so I can't tell if this was fixed or not.

> my 'guest' has ...

> guest# ps -eaf | grep systemd
> root         24      1  0 19:48 ?        00:00:00
> /usr/lib/systemd/systemd-logind
> message+     28      1  0 19:48 ?        00:00:00 /bin/dbus-daemon
> --system --address=systemd: --nofork --nopidfile --systemd-activation
> root        955      1  0 19:48 ?        00:00:00
> /usr/lib/systemd/systemd-journald

Any idea what version of systemd is running?  I've found there are a
number of versions that seem to be impossible to get to work and one
versions that works you find the next version doesn't.

I find this particular problem rather disturbing.  I have not seen the
permissions problem crop up in a systemd container with autodev enabled.
What I've seen was just the opposite.  This should have worked.  Not
sure what's causing it to be wrong, unless it's the lxc version but ever
0.8.0 worked if you had the right version of systemd.

I did retest a fresh Fedora 14 (upstart) container and it works with the
proper permissions in the /dev directory for both autodev settings.  But
that's under 0.9.0, so that would be my first check.

Regards,
Mike