[Lxc-users] VALE as networking option in LXC

Natale Patriciello natale.patriciello at gmail.com
Tue Apr 16 15:50:01 UTC 2013

On 16/04/13 at 06:45pm, Zhu Yanhai wrote:
> I think the 'tcp friends' feature in the latest upstream kernel can do the
> same thing with it. See http://lwn.net/Articles/511254/.

Actually, I'm focused to lower layers (in particular ethernet layer), so
any improvements to TCP doesn't fit well into my case study. Thank you
anyway, I'll will add it to the "must see" things.

Regarding netmap, its kernel module creates a character device (/dev/netmap), which I
want to make accessible into lxc containers as first step to evaluate
performance. I've setup config file adding these lines:

lxc.cgroup.devices.allow = c 10:57 rwm

because I have

crw------- 1 root root 10, 57 16 apr 11.23 /dev/netmap

but any mknod inside the container fail with an "operation not
permitted". For example:

mknod /dev/netmap c 10 57
mknod: "/dev/netmap": Operation not permitted

I get this behavior on ubuntu hosts, with 3.5.0, but on archlinux hosts
as well, with 3.8.5 kernel version.

There's something I'm missing? Maybe on the netmap side (from its
sources, I see that it create the device with a call to misc_register
[1]) ?

Basically, I need a "pass-through" to reach /dev/netmap on the host side
from the containers.

Thank you in advance

[1] http://lxr.linux.no/#linux+v3.8.7/include/linux/miscdevice.h#L63