[Lxc-users] mknod inside systemd container

Michael H. Warfield mhw at WittsEnd.com
Wed Apr 3 22:15:23 UTC 2013

On Wed, 2013-04-03 at 23:03 +0100, John wrote:
> On 02/04/13 23:59, Michael H. Warfield wrote:
> > On Tue, 2013-04-02 at 16:02 +0100, John wrote:
> >> If my understanding is correctl, to stop systemd trying to launch udev
> >> and generally make a mess of everything inside a container, you need to
> >> remove the mknod capability from the container.
> > Ah...  That's kind of old information and not really effective.
> >
> >> But what if I want
> >> (need) to be able to use mknod inside a container, how can I do that
> >> with a systemd container?
> > 1) Get the latest lxc.  lxc 0.8 might suffice for systemd in a container
> > but not with systemd in the host and I wouldn't recommend it.  0.9.0 is
> > being pulled and bundled now.  It's not up yet but 0.9.0.rc1 is.
> >
> > 2) You'll have to add "lxc.autodev = 1" to your configuration file.

> I already do that. I am running "lxc version: 0.9.0.alpha3"

That's strange.  What stops systemd from mounting devtmpfs and firing up
udev is having a tmpfs mounted on /dev.  That's part of what autodev = 1
is doing.

What distro is running in the container and what version of systemd?
I've seen this with Fedora 16 but the latest systemd and Fedora 17 in
the container are fine.

> I found that, without the removal of mknod capability, everything went
> crazy. I have working containers with systemd both on host and inside
> the container (I even run my full desktop inside a container). To get a
> systemd container working I found I needed three things:

> lxc.autodev = 1
> lxc.cap.drop = mknod

I'm not having to do that but I'm avoiding F15 and F16 because they
don't seem to play nice and start reliably.  F17 is doing well for me.