[Lxc-users] zfs support

Papp Tamas tompos at martos.bme.hu
Wed Apr 3 22:12:20 UTC 2013

On 04/03/2013 11:43 PM, Serge Hallyn wrote:

> It's on the list - only trick is I need to learn how to use it :)

I planning to make some changes like this:

     echo "  -B zfs [--zfs-root PATH]" >&2

     echo "  --zfs-root PATH    specify the zfs path for lxcpath (default: tank/lxc)" >&2

where tank used to be the default zfs pool name for.
A typical zfs list output is like this:

NAME                  USED  AVAIL  REFER  MOUNTPOINT
tank                  384G   710G   168K  /tank
tank/lxc              384G   710G   256K  /data/lxc
tank/lxc/camel        108G   710G   108G  /data/lxc/camel
tank/lxc/common       854M   710G   854M  /data/lxc/common
tank/lxc/confluence  5.84G   710G  5.84G  /data/lxc/confluence
tank/lxc/demo        1.13G   710G  1.13G  /data/lxc/demo

It's mount point was set by:

zfs set mountpoint=/data/lxc tank/lxc

Of course it's can be anywhere on the filesystem, eg. /var/lib/lxc.

Creating the filesystem for the container:

zfs create $zfs_root/$lxc_name

Cleanup:

zfs destroy $zfs_root/$lxc_name

I've never used neither lxc-clone nor zfs clone, but according to its manpage it's not a rocket
science:)
I just wrote the things above, to make sure, I'm on the right way and maybe you want to follow this
kind of setup:)

If you need help for testing, just let me know, if I'm capable, I can test it.

> and I'd like to add qemu-nbd (and qcow2/qed which would just add
> snapshotting to qemu-nbd for container clone) if I can cleanly fit
> partitioned blockdevs, but I'm not sure I can.  Maybe support something
> like
>
> /home/serge/disk1.qcow2:2
>
> meaning partition 2 from that file mounted over qemu-nbd?

Good point!

Thanks,
tamas