[Lxc-users] Problem ssh-ing into lxc container under Ubuntu 12.04

Peter-Frank Spierenburg spierepf at hotmail.com
Fri Sep 14 14:27:54 UTC 2012

Greetings,

Whenever I try to ssh into an lxc container on Ubuntu 12.04, I get:

using lxc-console to access the container, and checking the /var/log/auth.log file:

Sep 14 14:13:47 dnsmasq sshd[174]: fatal: Missing privilege separation directory: /var/run/sshd

Fair enough. If I use lxc-console to create /var/run/sshd manually, everything is fine. I restart the ssh server and can then ssh in without problem...

However, my goal is to build containers automatically using python scripts, so navigating the username/password login is too difficult.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to how I can create the /var/run/sshd directory inside an lxc container automatically?

Peter.