[Lxc-users] Hard links to fifos not permitted in ephemeral containers? (was: Re: selinux trouble in lxc?)

Dan Kegel dank at kegel.com
Fri Sep 7 23:41:08 UTC 2012

On Fri, Sep 7, 2012 at 4:01 PM, Dan Kegel <dank at kegel.com> wrote:
>>   mkfifo /tmp/fifo
>>   ln /tmp/fifo /tmp/fifo2
>> fails with "operation not permitted".
>>
> Aha.  Starting with 'lxc-start' yields a system which can do the ln.
> Starting with 'lxc-start-ephemeral' yields a system which can't.
> Has nothing to do with /tmp.
>
> Is overlayfs at fault?

I see there are several rumored sources of restrictions on hardlinks, e.g.
https://lkml.org/lkml/2011/5/19/384
https://lkml.org/lkml/2012/2/21/397

And I see this is a known issue:
http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.linux.ubuntu.devel/34948

Happily, using the -U aufs option to lxc-start-ephemeral seems to work
around the problem, at least in my little test.  I'll know soon if it fixes
my real system.

But I was not able to find a bug for this issue in launchpad.  Should
I file one?
- Dan