[Lxc-users] LXC container templates

TuxRaiderPen tuxraiderpen at wpascanner.com
Tue Sep 4 16:31:05 UTC 2012

On Tuesday, September 04, 2012 08:11:41 Matthew Franz wrote:
> Without sparking a golden image vs. os template debate, you would be better
> off using a something like Chef/Puppet/SaltStack to drive those different
> application server roles than hardcoding them in the template. Just put
> enough in the template to bootstrap the node and have
> your configuration management / automation system do the rest :)

Thanks, but I guess I am just in a different mode of use.

I am looking for something that fills in like:

lxc-create -t ubuntu-lamp -n LAMPServer

Where it pulls a template already defined with the LAMP stack, and with
possibly a little tweaking on my part after creation ie: fix the missing CPAN
stuff for perl, PEAR stuff etc..

Is this not what those templates are for on the various sites I mentioned? ?
Is there not a template like I mentioned above? Where I don't have to recreate
the wheel so to speak, but may tweak it a little ? ? ?

Or am I missing something in this if thats not that case? ? ?

> A bonus, is this approach also allows to you use the same tools across
> baremetal, virtualization, and containers.

Well since our standard for virtualization is VMWare ESXi (VSphere), Player or
the older Server 2.x none of these tools are likely to work. LXC is mainly for
my personal use to isolate some things in their own little worlds.

It would be nice if ALSA could be setup on the host to feed LXC containers to
do some things. Especially if I could feed it an ALSA alias as an input to the
LXC's "Mic or Line." We remove pulseaudio, and use strictly ALSA, and always
will. We've found it much more reliable. That probably needs something of an
LXC-ALSA layer to sort that all out...Don't need output so much as the ability
to take input from an ALSA alias and feed it to a program, with one or two of
this program running in their own LXC container.